Suspect Taken Into Custody in Long Island Serial Killings, AP Source Says

July 14, 2023by Michael Balsamo and Jake Offenhartz, Associated Press
Suspect Taken Into Custody in Long Island Serial Killings, AP Source Says
A Suffolk County Police Department officer and dog search the Gilgo Beach area on New York's Long Island for human remains, March 29, 2011. (Jim Staubitser/Newsday via AP, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — A suspect has been taken into custody on New York’s Long Island in connection with a long-unsolved string of killings, known as the Gilgo Beach murders, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Friday.

The case has drawn immense public attention since human remains were found along a New York beach highway more than a decade ago. The mystery attracted national headlines for many years and the unsolved killings were the subject of the 2020 Netflix film “Lost Girls.”

The suspect was taken into custody in Massapequa late Thursday and investigators were at a home connected to the case on Friday, the official said. The official was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the investigation and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

The suspect’s name was not immediately released.

The deaths of 11 people whose remains were found in 2010 and 2011 have long stumped investigators. Most of the victims were young women who had been sex workers. Several of the bodies were found near the town of Gilgo Beach.

Determining who killed them, and why, has vexed a slew of seasoned homicide detectives through several changes in police leadership. Last year, an interagency task force was formed with investigators from the FBI, as well as state and local police departments, aimed at solving the case.

The formation of the Gilgo Beach task force represents a renewed commitment to investigating the unsolved killings of mostly young women whose skeletal remains were found along a highway on Long Island, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said.

“We’re happy to see that they’re finally active, the police, in accomplishing something. Let’s wait and see what it all leads to,” said John Ray, the attorney for the families of two victims, Shannan Gilbert and Jessica Taylor.

Gilbert’s disappearance in 2010 triggered the hunt that exposed the larger mystery. A 24-year-old sex worker, she vanished after leaving a client’s house on foot in the seafront community of Oak Beach, disappearing into the marsh.

Months later, a police officer and his cadaver dog were looking for her body in the thicket along nearby Ocean Parkway when they happened upon the remains of a different woman. Within days, three other bodies were found, all within a short walk of one another.

By spring 2011, that number had climbed to 10 sets of human remains — those of eight women, one man and one toddler. Some were later linked to dismembered body parts found elsewhere on Long Island, making for a puzzling crime scene that stretched from a park near the New York City limits to a resort community on Fire Island and out to far eastern Long Island.

Gilbert’s body was found in December 2011, about 3 miles (5 kilometers) east of where the other 10 sets were discovered.

In talking about the bodies near Gilgo Beach, investigators have said several times over the years that it is unlikely one person killed all the victims.

News of a suspect being taken into custody comes a day after state police responded to a report of skeletal remains found in a wooded area off the Southern State Parkway in Islip. Police planned a briefing near the site on Friday afternoon. It wasn’t immediately clear if those remains were linked to the Gilgo Beach case.

__

Balsamo reported from Washington. Associated Press contributors include Jennifer Peltz in New York City and Sarah Brumfield in Silver Spring, Maryland.

A+
a-

In The News

Health

Voting

Law Enforcement

May 31, 2024
by Tom Ramstack
DC Police Prepare for Terrorism During Pride Month in June

WASHINGTON — District of Columbia police are preparing for a potential terrorist attack in June during Pride Month after an... Read More

WASHINGTON — District of Columbia police are preparing for a potential terrorist attack in June during Pride Month after an FBI warning last week. “Foreign terrorist organizations or supporters may seek to exploit increased gatherings associated with the upcoming June 2024 Pride Month,” a joint FBI... Read More

May 22, 2024
by Dan McCue
Republican National Headquarters Locked Down in Hazmat Scare

WASHINGTON — The headquarters of the Republican National Committee was briefly locked down Wednesday morning after a suspicious package containing... Read More

WASHINGTON — The headquarters of the Republican National Committee was briefly locked down Wednesday morning after a suspicious package containing vials of blood was delivered to the address. The package was reportedly addressed to former President Donald Trump. U.S. Capitol Police later confirmed that two vials... Read More

May 8, 2024
by Tom Ramstack
DC Police Clear War Protesters After Congressional Threat to Intervene

WASHINGTON — Washington, D.C., police cleared out Israel-Hamas War protesters from George Washington University in the early hours of Wednesday... Read More

WASHINGTON — Washington, D.C., police cleared out Israel-Hamas War protesters from George Washington University in the early hours of Wednesday but only after enduring congressional criticism for the delay. Thirty-three protesters were arrested at an encampment only blocks from the White House after police said they... Read More

Police Remove Encampment at University of Wisconsin’s Madison Campus

AP — Police were removing an encampment of pro-Palestinian protesters at the University of Wisconsin’s Madison campus and have taken away... Read More

AP — Police were removing an encampment of pro-Palestinian protesters at the University of Wisconsin’s Madison campus and have taken away several protesters. Several police officers arrived at the encampment on the campus’ Library Mall around 7 a.m. Wednesday and played a recorded message on a loop... Read More

March 28, 2024
by Dan McCue
Elections Task Force Prosecutes 2020 ‘Vigilantes,’ Seeks More Civic Dialogue

PHOENIX, Ariz. — A 46-year-old Ohio man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for sending death threats to... Read More

PHOENIX, Ariz. — A 46-year-old Ohio man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for sending death threats to an Arizona election official. The sentencing of Joshua Russell, of Bucyrus, Ohio, came after he pleaded guilty to one count of making a threatening interstate communication.... Read More

February 9, 2024
by Dan McCue
Fake Biden Robocalls During New Hampshire Primary Traced to Texas

CONCORD, N.H. — Fraudulent robocalls using an AI-generated impersonation of President Joe Biden to discourage voting in the New Hampshire... Read More

CONCORD, N.H. — Fraudulent robocalls using an AI-generated impersonation of President Joe Biden to discourage voting in the New Hampshire Democratic primary last month have been traced to a Texas-based company, known as Life Corp., and an individual named Walter Monk. The announcement by New Hampshire... Read More

News From The Well
scroll top