Happening This Week
- As of May 24, we are 163 days away from Election Day.
- The Oklahoma legislative sessions ends this week on May 29.
- Former Second Lady Jill Biden joins the virtual campaign trail today and will hold an Eid al-Fitr call with Muslim Americans to celebrate the end of the month of Ramadan.
- On May 26, daughter-in-law and Trump 2020 campaign senior advisor, Lara Trump, will host a Q&A for Team Trump Online that features special guests.
- Vermont: The state and federal filing deadline for candidates in Vermont is May 28.
- Wyoming: The state and federal filing deadline for candidates in Wyoming is May 29.
In the states…
- There are no elections scheduled for this week.
- Indiana: Early voting begins on May 26.
- Maryland: Your primary is June 2, 2020 and will include nominations for U.S. president and the state’s eight U.S. House seats, and the city of Baltimore will choose nominees for mayor, council president, city council, and controller.
- Montana: Your voter registration deadline is Tuesday, May 26.
- Nevada: The Nevada Democratic Party State Convention will be held virtually.
- New York: Your voter registration deadline is Friday, May 29.
Updates From Last Week
- Vice President Joe Biden won the Oregon Democratic Primary on Tuesday, May 19. The primary was a closed primary. The state awards 74 delegates to the 2020 Democratic National Convention, of which 61 pledged delegates are allocated on the basis of the primary results. The former Vice President also walked away with another victory in Friday’s Democratic primary in Hawaii. US Senator Bernie Sanders was the choice of Hawaiians during the 2016 Democratic primary.
- “Trump Victory,” a joint fundraising committee comprised of Donald J. Trump for President and the Republican National Committee, hosted a press call discussing the RNC’s legal efforts in key states across the country to combat the Democrats’ efforts.
- Former Vice President Joe Biden is seeking suggestions for potential running mates. US Senator Amy Klobuchar is among those being considered. Meanwhile, in Virginia, Former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg campaigned virtually for the presumptive 2020 Democratic presidential nominee, hosting an organizing training with volunteers and supporters.
- The Trump re-election campaign held an “Army for Trump Online” event hosted by Trump 2020 deputy communications director Erin Perrine. The campaign also held a “Team Trump Online! Promises Made, Promises Kept” event hosted by Trump 2020 Campaign senior advisor Kimberly Guilfoyle, with special guests former The Trump Organization executive vice president Jason Greenblatt and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.
- Former Philadelphia elections judge, Domenick J. Demuro, pleaded guilty to accepting cash and “other things of value” in return for tampering with the results of city primary elections over several years.
More information about your state’s elections can be found at your Secretary of State’s Website:
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer on Friday released the updated plan for conducting congressional business into the summer. The plan and calendar emailed members states that the focus for June will be on having the House committees hold hearings and mark up and report... Read More
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The theme of the contest is most succinctly spelled out on the campaign signs that have appeared this week in South Carolina's 1st Congressional District, like so many clumps of blooming Black-Eyed Susans. "Take Back the Lowcountry," the signs of Republican primary frontrunner,... Read More
WASHINGTON - Long-term care is a topic that hits close to home for many. Nursing homes and facilities providing care for people 65 and older are often crowded and understaffed, and care for seniors is even more complicated in the COVID-19 era. More than a third... Read More
WASHINGTON - A letter outlining the Republican National Committee's coronavirus safety plan for its upcoming presidential nominating convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, includes several medical checks, but makes no mention of either wearing masks or requirements for social distancing. The letter, signed by Republican National Committee... Read More
WASHINGTON - The National Press Club and the Society of Professional Journalists strongly condemned the early morning arrests on Friday of a CNN correspondent and his production team, as they were covering ongoing protests in Minneapolis, Minnesota, over the death in police custody of George Floyd.... Read More
A majority of Hawaii residents continue to support the construction of a new observatory atop the dormant Maunakea volcano on the Big Island of the archipelago, despite protests that have brought the project to a standstill, a new poll shows. The Thirty Meter Telescope is part... Read More
WASHINGTON — Election officials have just weeks left to ensure that their states can handle a surge of mail-in votes in November in the face of fierce opposition from President Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress. With just a little more than five months to Election... Read More
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday targeting social media companies such as Twitter, accusing them of having “unchecked power” and escalating his feud with the popular digital platforms he relies on as a political bullhorn as he runs for reelection. Trump’s order... Read More
U.S. states’ jobless rolls shrank for the first time during the coronavirus pandemic in a sign people are starting to return to work, even as millions more Americans filed for unemployment benefits. Continuing claims, which tally Americans’ ongoing benefit claims in state programs, fell to 21.1... Read More