Lesley Stahl Gets Security Protection After Death Threat Over Trump ’60 Minutes’ Interview
CBS has reportedly hired full-time security for “60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl after a family member received a death threat over her interview with President Trump.
An unidentified suspect called Stahl’s home Thursday, just hours before the president released his own copy of the interview on Facebook, and threatened her and her family and “said something about neo-Nazis,” TMZ reported Tuesday.
The Los Angeles Police Department would not confirm whether an investigation has been launched.
Stahl, 78, now reportedly has security guards at her home and with her whenever she goes out in public.
A spokesperson for CBS did not immediately return the Daily News’ request for comment.
Trump stringently objected to Stahl’s “tough” questions in the taped sit-down before he eventually stormed out, cutting off the scheduled interview before a planned walk-and-talk around the White House grounds.
Trump claimed he was trying to show “the bias, hatred and rudeness on behalf of ’60 Minutes’ and CBS” when he posted his version of the video, which was supposed to be for archival purposes only, online.
CBS decried Trump’s “unprecedented decision” to upload the 37-minute video and said it would not “deter ’60 Minutes’ from providing its full, fair and contextual reporting which presidents have participated in for decades.”
“Few journalists have the presidential interview experience Lesley Stahl has delivered over her decades as one of the premier correspondents in America,” a spokesperson said in a statement.
When the network finally aired its full version of the interview Sunday night, nearly 17 million people tuned in, the largest “60 Minutes” audience since its March 2018 Stormy Daniels show, according to CBS.
(c)2020 New York Daily News
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC
In The News
WASHINGTON -- The Trump-appointed chief executive who oversees Voice of America is facing an onslaught of crises only days before the president is scheduled to leave office. First, the attorney general of the District of Columbia last week sued U.S. Agency for Global Media CEO Michael... Read More
WASHINGTON - The top federal prosecutor in Washington said Tuesday investigators are aware of multiple reports of reporters being assaulted and otherwise abused during last Wednesday's siege at the U.S. Capitol and vowed to bring the guilty parties to justice. The U.S. Press Freedom Tracker said... Read More
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Lincoln Project, which spent much of the year trolling President Donald Trump with TV ads aimed directly at him, is deploying the tactic in South Florida. Starting Wednesday, if Trump turns on the TV at the two locations he’s spent time... Read More
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dozens of journalists at Al-Jazeera, the Qatari state-owned media company, have been targeted by advanced spyware in an attack likely linked to the governments of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, a cybersecurity watchdog said Sunday. Citizen Lab at... Read More
MIAMI — A global elections vendor founded in South Florida is threatening to sue Fox News and other conservative media outlets for defamation unless they prominently retract unfounded reports alleging a conspiracy to rig the 2020 vote against President Donald Trump. Smartmatic, which keeps its U.S.... Read More
NEW YORK - Time magazine has named Joe Biden and Kamala Harris 2020's Person of the Year. The two made history on November 7 when they beat Donald Trump after an election marked by a surging public health crisis and an incumbent president who questioned the... Read More