Beto O’Rourke Ends 2020 Presidential Bid
WASHINGTON – Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke announced Friday evening that he’s dropping his bid for Democratic presidential nomination.
O’Rourke tweeted Friday that his campaign “has always been about seeing clearly, speaking honestly, and acting decisively.” He writes, “In that spirit: I am announcing that my service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.”
O’Rourke had been struggling to break through a crowded Democratic field. He entered the race in March with buzz from his narrow 2018 Senate loss to Republican incumbent Ted Cruz in Texas.
But he never gained traction, and was forced to “reintroduce” himself in a bid to jumpstart his stalled campaign.
After a mass shooting in his hometown of El Paso, Texas, he began to center his campaign on gun violence prevention.
On Friday, he said via Twitter that he is “grateful to all the people who made up the heart and soul of this campaign.”
“You were among the hundreds of thousands who made a donation, signed up to volunteer or spread the word about this campaign and our opportunity to help decide the election of our lifetime,” he said.
O’Rourke ended the thread by promising to support the eventual Democratic nominee.
“I can tell you firsthand from having the chance to know the candidates, we will be well served by any one of them, and I’m going to be proud to support whoever she or he is,” he said.