facebook linkedin twitter

Biden to Boost Federal Employee Pay in 2022

August 27, 2021 by Dan McCue
Biden to Boost Federal Employee Pay in 2022
The White House emblem in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room, Aug. 27 2021. (Photo by Dan McCue)

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden formally unveiled plans on Friday to give civilian employees of the federal government a pay raise, effective Jan. 1, 2022.

In a letter to House and Senate leadership, Biden said the across-the-board base pay increase will be 2.2% and locality pay increases will average 0.5%, resulting in an overall average increase of 2.7% for civilian Federal employees.  

This is the first time the Biden administration has indicated its specific plans for locality-based pay adjustments. 


Previously, the White House recommended a 2.7% federal pay raise for civilian employees in its 2022 budget request, but it didn’t spell out how locality pay would fit into the equation.


An annual across-the-board pay adjustment formula in the Federal Employees Pay Comparability Act sets raises for most federal employees under the General Schedule, but as Biden did Friday, most presidents choose to go their own way in this regard.


Federal pay raises would go into effect during the first pay period in January. 

No pay adjustments for federal employees are official until the president signs an executive order formally implementing them, which usually occurs near the end of the calendar year.

A+
a-

In The News

Health

Voting

White House

Biden in Asia: New Friends, Old Tensions, Storms at Home

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — President Joe Biden hopes to use his visit to Asia to confirm his belief that... Read More

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — President Joe Biden hopes to use his visit to Asia to confirm his belief that long-standing friendships can afford to become even friendlier — and pay dividends. He opened the trip in South Korea on Friday and will end in Japan... Read More

Biden Meets Sweden, Finland Leaders to Talk NATO, Russia

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Thursday welcomed the leaders of Sweden and Finland to the White House, as... Read More

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Thursday welcomed the leaders of Sweden and Finland to the White House, as he hailed the application of the once-neutral countries to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Biden greeted Prime Minister Magdalena... Read More

Biden Looks to Nudge ASEAN Leaders to Speak Out on Russia

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is looking to nudge southeast Asian leaders to be more outspoken about Russia’s invasion of... Read More

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is looking to nudge southeast Asian leaders to be more outspoken about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but the issue continues to be a delicate one for many members of the region's 10-country alliance with deep ties to Moscow. Biden welcomed leaders... Read More

May 12, 2022
by Dan McCue
White House Accelerates Response to Baby Formula Shortage

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden on Thursday directed his administration to “work urgently” to respond to the major baby formula... Read More

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden on Thursday directed his administration to “work urgently” to respond to the major baby formula shortage that has forced families across the United States to rely on others with leftover supplies to swap or sell to get the nutrition they need... Read More

Biden Co-Hosts 2nd Global COVID Summit as US Nears 1M Deaths

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden will appeal for a renewed international commitment to attacking COVID-19 as he convenes a... Read More

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden will appeal for a renewed international commitment to attacking COVID-19 as he convenes a second virtual summit on the pandemic and marks “a tragic milestone" as the U.S. approaches 1 million deaths. “As a nation, we must not grow numb to such... Read More

May 11, 2022
by Reece Nations
Biden Administration Taking Steps to Lower Farming, Food Costs

KANKAKEE, Ill. — President Joe Biden is blaming Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for supply chain disruptions that are causing yield-impairing... Read More

KANKAKEE, Ill. — President Joe Biden is blaming Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for supply chain disruptions that are causing yield-impairing fertilizer shortages and driving up food prices. The war’s repercussions have sent international food prices to record highs, according to United Nations data. The U.N.’s Food... Read More

News From The Well
scroll top