State Department Eliminates 5-Year Tourist Visa for Cubans
The U.S. State Department on Friday announced it is eliminating a popular five-year tourist visa for Cubans, needed to achieve “reciprocity” between the visa rules of the U.S. and Cuba.
Cuba’s foreign minister, Bruno Rodriguez, immediately slammed the move, saying via Twitter the decision by the Trump administration is “an additional obstacle” for the many Cuban citizens who have relatives living in the United States.
The change in policy, which was announced through a Spanish-language Facebook post, is scheduled to take effect on Monday.
In the video, Mara Tekach, the charge d’affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba, explains that under the new policy, the U.S. is reducing the duration of B2 tourist visas issued to Cuban nationals from five years to three months, and reducing their use from multiple entries to single entry.
Cuba currently grants U.S. tourists single-entry visas valid for up to two months with a possible 30-day extension.
But Rodriguez rejected the State Department’s claim that the changes were a result of a reciprocity issue, insisting that “Cuba offers all means so that U.S. citizens, from any country, including the U.S., can obtain a visa.”
The change in U.S. policy is considered a blow both to Cubans who have family members in the states and entrepreneurs who rely on their ability to enter the United States to buy goods for their businesses.
Now, in order to make the trip on anything like the basis they had in the past, they’ll have to take more costly and time-consuming journeys through other countries, like Mexico or Canada.
The U.S. withdrew most of its non-essential diplomatic staff from Havana in September 2017, citing health and security concerns after several staff members became ill under mysterious circumstances. Since then the embassy has stopped issuing visas of almost any type in Cuba.
In The News
The United States and Russia each still possess enough nuclear warheads to ensure mutual destruction in case of an armed conflict between the former superpowers. It’s a scenario that has kept the world and the residents of both countries in a state of collective fear for... Read More
WASHINGTON — The United States for now has ruled out holding any negotiations with Nicolás Maduro and instead is focused on how to orchestrate a “dignified exit” for the Venezuelan leader after an opposition uprising and a series of sanctions failed to oust him from power.... Read More
MOSCOW — Russian President Vladimir Putin told the United States’ top diplomat Tuesday that he was eager to repair relations between their two countries despite sharp differences over the escalating crisis in Iran. Putin spoke alongside Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo in the Russian resort... Read More
The U.S.-China trade war escalated Monday with Beijing signaling it plans to raise tariffs on about $60 billion in U.S. goods on the heels of the United States slapping new tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods last week. Some 2,493 goods will see levies raised... Read More
Bawa Jain sounded as if he had still not quite come back down to Earth. A week removed from co-hosting the inaugural Responsible Leaders Summit at the United Nations in New York, the indefatigable secretary general of the World Council of Religious Leaders, admitted he couldn't... Read More
WASHINGTON — U.S. authorities have taken custody of a North Korean cargo ship for the first time for allegedly violating sanctions, announcing the seizure Thursday shortly after Pyongyang fired two short-range ballistic missiles, its second weapons test in less than a week. U.S. officials said the... Read More