Senate Excoriates Secretary of State for Withdrawal from Afghanistan
WASHINGTON — Senators who handle foreign relations hammered away at the U.S. secretary of state for a second day Tuesday for what they described as the disastrous military withdrawal from Afghanistan.
They criticized the lack of planning, the poor intelligence reports and the violent chaos at Kabul’s airport during the evacuation last month.
“The withdrawal was a debacle,” said Sen. James E. Risch, R-Idaho.
Perhaps the U.S. military had good intentions in trying to evacuate American citizens and Afghan allies who helped them during the 20-year war, but the way it was handled was “like an arsonist saving people from a burning building that he just set on fire,” Risch said.
After the war and occupation that started shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attack, Afghanistan’s U.S.-supported government collapsed in 11 days as the Taliban took over while Americans departed.
The Taliban refers to an extremist Islamic political and military organization that now controls Afghanistan’s government. U.S. forces left behind about $80 billion in military equipment, some of which could become part of the Taliban’s military.
Members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said during the hearing Tuesday that they want to know what went wrong.
They mentioned as an example an Aug. 26 terrorist suicide bombing at Kabul’s airport that killed 13 U.S. military personnel and 169 Afghans.
“We need to know who’s in charge and who’s making these decisions,” Risch said.
President Joe Biden assumed responsibility for the withdrawal during nationally-televised speeches from the White House.
On Aug. 16, he said, “I stand squarely behind my decision. After 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw U.S. forces.”
On Aug. 31, less than a day after a C-17 Air Force airplane roared off the runway at Kabul carrying the last American troops, Biden said, “I was not going to extend this forever war. And I was not going to extend a forever exit.”
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken defended the president’s words and actions during the Senate hearing.
“It was time to end America’s longest war,” Blinken said.
Despite $2 trillion in U.S. taxpayer money spent on Afghanistan, 2,461 American lives lost and about 20,000 injured, the Taliban and other Islamic terrorist groups in the Middle East were regaining strength, he said.
“President Biden faced the choice of escalating the war or ending it,” Blinken said.
An escalation would result only in years more of conflict and “at best, the prospect of facing a stalemate,” Blinken said.
However, he acknowledged poor intelligence reports implying the U.S. could conduct a well-organized withdrawal while the Afghan government maintained order.
“What was not anticipated was the collapse in 11 days of the Afghan government and the Afghan military,” Blinken said.
Some Democrats agreed the time was right for the U.S. withdrawal but disagreed with the way it was managed.
‘Doing the right thing in the wrong way can be the wrong thing,” said Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Several senators criticized members of the Biden administration who declined to testify at the hearing, most specifically Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.
“There has to be accountability,” Menendez said. “We need to understand why successive administrations made the same mistakes repeatedly.”
He also warned that the threat to Americans is unlikely to end with the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
“There is no such thing as a reformed Taliban,” he said.
In The News
WASHINGTON - The Biden Administration on Friday imposed air travel restrictions on eight African nations in response to a new... Read More
WASHINGTON - The Biden Administration on Friday imposed air travel restrictions on eight African nations in response to a new COVID strain first detected in South Africa. The new travel restrictions, which go into effect Monday, apply to citizens of South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho,... Read More
WASHINGTON — A new, groundbreaking study suggests not only is there strong bipartisan support for corporate efforts to address environmental,... Read More
WASHINGTON — A new, groundbreaking study suggests not only is there strong bipartisan support for corporate efforts to address environmental, social and governance challenges, but that the bipartisan appeal of these initiatives dramatically increases among Americans under the age of 45. The study, “Unlocking the Bipartisan... Read More
WASHINGTON — Representatives from more than 100 countries recently gathered in Glasgow, Scotland, for the COP26 climate conference in an... Read More
WASHINGTON — Representatives from more than 100 countries recently gathered in Glasgow, Scotland, for the COP26 climate conference in an effort to pledge commitments and action against climate change, especially actions to prevent temperatures from rising above 2 degrees Celsius, which would unleash severe climate change... Read More
SAN ANTONIO — Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, announced on Monday that he plans to join the Republican primary field for... Read More
SAN ANTONIO — Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, announced on Monday that he plans to join the Republican primary field for Texas attorney general in a bid to oust incumbent Ken Paxton. Gohmert, who has served in the House of Representatives since 2005, was previously elected state... Read More
WASHINGTON — More than 100 Democrats in the House and Senate are urging their colleagues to help them guarantee a... Read More
WASHINGTON — More than 100 Democrats in the House and Senate are urging their colleagues to help them guarantee a woman’s timely access to birth control at her local pharmacy. The legislation, the Access to Birth Control Act, was reintroduced in the Senate Tuesday by Sens.... Read More
WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department intervened this week in a lawsuit former President Donald Trump filed against social media companies... Read More
WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department intervened this week in a lawsuit former President Donald Trump filed against social media companies Facebook, Twitter and Google’s YouTube. Trump accuses the companies of violating his First Amendment right to free speech by banning his postings after the Jan. 6... Read More