Top General Apologizes for Taking Part in Trump Photo at Church
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff apologized for participating in Donald Trump’s controversial appearance for a photo at a historic church last week, when law enforcement forcibly cleared a peaceful protest to make way for the president.
“I should not have been there,” General Mark Milley said in a prerecorded graduation address to the National Defense University on Thursday. “My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.”
Milley’s presence has been widely criticized for giving credence to Trump’s claim that he could use the U.S. military to quell domestic protests. He is the latest senior current or former military official to rebuke or distance themselves from the event, during which Trump briefly held up a Bible outside a damaged church before walking back to the White House nearby. Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who was also there, has said he wasn’t aware Trump was setting up for a photo.
“As a commissioned, uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it,” Milley said. “We who wear the cloth of our nation come from the people of our nation and we must hold dear the principle of an apolitical military that is so deeply rooted in the very essence of our republic.”
Trump continues to grapple with how to respond to the deaths of George Floyd and other black Americans that have sparked rolling protests against police brutality across the U.S. The president is due to travel to Dallas on Thursday and will hold a roundtable with religious leaders, law enforcement officials, and small business owners. The White House is also nearing a proposal on a police overhaul, Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Thursday.
Milley spoke at length about the need to address racism in America, and of the need for the armed forces to do more to improve inequality in their ranks.
“I am outraged by the senseless and brutal killing of George Floyd,” Milley said. “His death amplified the pain, the frustration and the fear that so many of our fellow Americans live with day-in, day-out. The protests that have ensued not only speak to his killing but also to the centuries of injustice towards African Americans. What we have seen is the long shadow of our original sin in Jamestown 401 years ago.”
He said that “peaceful protests” are a part of American freedom.
“We are still struggling with racism and we have much work to do. Racism and discrimination, structural preferences, patterns of mistreatment, unspoken and unconscious bias have no place in America and they have no place in our Armed Forces. We must, we can and we will do better,” he said.
Milley’s remarks were reported earlier by the New York Times.
©2020 Bloomberg News
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
In The News
WASHINGTON — A senior Defense Department official resigned on Tuesday, opening the way for a longtime ally of President Donald Trump to take on a key leadership role a day after Pentagon chief Mark Esper was fired. James Anderson, the acting deputy undersecretary of defense for policy, had been in his current role... Read More
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's decision to fire Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Monday raised concerns that he may be planning far-reaching military moves in his final weeks in office — and is putting in place new leadership more inclined to go along. Trump named Christopher Miller, director of the national counterterrorism... Read More
WASHINGTON — Top Democrats on the House Armed Services Committee and a former U.S. spy chief expressed concerns about U.S. national security Tuesday after news broke that most of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are quarantining after coming in contact with at least one person who... Read More
WASHINGTON – Two members of Congress have penned letters requesting a probe into the Pentagon’s decision to grant a multibillion dollar moving contract to American Roll-On Roll-Off Carrier Group Inc. The three-year, $7.2 billion contract would privately outsource the management of service members’ household goods, according... Read More
WASHINGTON — The Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday canceled at the last minute the nomination hearing for Anthony J. Tata, President Donald Trump’s controversial pick to be the Pentagon’s policy chief. Tata, a retired Army brigadier general and regular contributor to Fox News, once called... Read More
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is winding down the U.S. military presence in Germany, and relocating some, but not all of those troops closer to the Russian border, Defense Secretary Mark Esper announced Wednesday. The decision marks a major force restructuring aimed at shrinking the U.S. mission... Read More