National Guard Seeks $521 Million Reimbursement for Jan. 6 Response
The National Guard is asking Congress to reimburse $521 million it says it spent in responding to the Jan. 6 siege on Capitol Hill and the extended protection it provided in the months that followed.
Gen. Daniel Hohanson said during a Pentagon press conference on Wednesday that if it doesn’t get the money soon, the force may need to eliminate drill weekends and curtail its response to hurricanes and other natural disasters that occur before the end of the current fiscal year.
“If we don’t get that funding fairly soon, we’ll have to look not only at August but also September, the last two months of the fiscal year, either curtailing completely or drastically reducing our National Guard drill weekends and annual training, as well as our operational maintenance,” Hohanson said.
In a memo sent to Congress last week, the National Guard said if the funding is not provided by July 1, units nationwide and in U.S. territories will be ordered to prepare a cease on some operations and cancel drills from August through Sept. 30, with training in July also potentially eliminated.
Approximately 26,000 Army and Air Force National Guard personnel were deployed to defend Capitol Hill after the Capitol building was stormed by supporters of former President Donald Trump.
Hokanson said Guardsmen deployed from every state, Guam and the District of Columbia to the operation. The troops erected barriers around Capitol Hill, stood ready to repel further assaults and stayed on for nearly four months after the inauguration of President Joe Biden.
Not getting the money would have “a very significant impact on National Guard readiness,” he said.
In The News
National Guard leaders are preparing to furlough civilians and cancel training events and drills slated for August and September to cover costs incurred by responding to the Jan. 6 siege on Capitol Hill. The guard’s mission formally ended in May, TWN previously reported, five months after... Read More
WASHINGTON -- A proposal that would expedite visas for Afghans who assisted the U.S. military glided through a congressional hearing Monday as the urgency grows to save them. As U.S. troops withdraw from Afghanistan, some Afghans who helped the U.S. or NATO forces are facing death... Read More
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan relinquished his position at a ceremony in the capital Kabul on Monday, taking the United States a step closer to ending its 20-year war. The move came as Taliban insurgents continue to gain territory across the... Read More
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Thursday said the U.S. military mission in Afghanistan will conclude on Aug. 31, saying "speed is safety" as the United States seeks to end the nearly 20-year war. "We did not go to Afghanistan to nation build," Biden said... Read More
Spouses of military reservists feel they are healthy and financially comfortable, but more of them complained of stress and loneliness in a survey released Tuesday by the Department of Defense. The survey of Reserve Component Spouses is conducted every two years, and along with the Survey... Read More
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. military, under the direction of President Joe Biden, carried out airstrikes against what it said were "facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups" near the border between Iraq and Syria, drawing condemnation from Iraq's military and calls for revenge by the militias. ... Read More