States Sue Federal Government Over Impending Food Stamp Losses

January 30, 2020 by Tom Ramstack
A sign indicates a store that accepts the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program or SNAP, the official name of the food stamp program.

WASHINGTON — Fourteen states have joined a lawsuit that seeks to block the Trump administration from reducing food benefits for about 700,000 people nationwide.

The cuts represent a rule change the U.S. Department of Agriculture finalized shortly before Christmas for its Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps.

The food stamp program requires able-bodied recipients between 18 years old and 49 years old to work at least 20 hours per week to continue receiving the benefit. States have the discretion to waive the work requirement.

The new rule eliminates most state discretion, meaning able-bodied adults without dependents can receive SNAP benefits for no more than three months during

a three-year period. They can continue receiving the benefits only if they’re working or enrolled in an education or training program for at least 80 hours a month.

States often waived the requirement by arguing the job market was not strong enough to ensure work was available for all SNAP recipients who applied.

The same sentiment was echoed in the lawsuit 14 states, the District of Columbia and New York City filed last week in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

“States are in the best position to evaluate local economic circumstances and to determine where there are insufficient job opportunities such that work requirements would be ineffective,” the lawsuit says. Eliminating state discretion will halt “essential food assistance for benefits recipients who live in areas with insufficient jobs.”

The proposed rule restricting state discretion is expected to save taxpayers $5.5 billion over five years, according to the Trump administration.

About 36.4 million individuals and 18.5 million households receive food stamps, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The federal food stamps reforms are derived partly from similar state measures, which started as the recession that began in 2008 eased.

By 2013, when the states started putting restrictions on food stamps, the number of recipients had reached all-time highs.

The Trump administration plans additional restrictions on subsidized nutrition programs.

If all the restrictions take effect, as many as three million people could lose at least some of their food benefits, according to advocates for low-income persons.

Among leaders of opposition to the rule changes are officials from the state and city of New York. About 50,000 food stamp recipients in New York City stand to lose their benefits.

“The federal government’s latest assault on vulnerable individuals is cruel to its core,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement. “Denying access to vital SNAP benefits would only push hundreds of thousands of already vulnerable Americans into greater economic uncertainty.”

Food stamp losses also would put heavier costs on states to care for homeless persons, according to New York state estimates. In addition, health care costs would rise for food stamp recipients who lose basic nutrition.

New York City officials estimate the rule change would cost their economy more than $100 million.

In Washington, D.C., which joined the lawsuit, about 13,000 residents would lose food stamps.

“A Republican-led Congress rejected these changes on a bipartisan basis in 2018, recognizing they do not encourage work, they just punish vulnerable people struggling to find jobs,” said Wasington, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine.

The lawsuit says the rule undermines the intent of Congress in approving the SNAP program. It seeks an injunction to block enforcement of the rule.

Litigation

The Trump Election Lawsuit Chronicles
2020 Elections
The Trump Election Lawsuit Chronicles
November 24, 2020
by Dan McCue

WASHINGTON - Getting a formal concession, finally, might all come down to this. The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of appeals on Monday granted a request from President Donald Trump's campaign to consider, on an expedited basis, an appeal of a mere facet of a federal judge's... Read More

Judge: DHS Head Didn't Have Authority to Suspend DACA
Immigration
Judge: DHS Head Didn't Have Authority to Suspend DACA

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge in New York ruled Saturday that Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf assumed his position unlawfully, a determination that invalidated Wolf's suspension of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which shields young people from deportation. “DHS... Read More

Michigan Officials Debunk Trump Dead Voter Claim
State News
Michigan Officials Debunk Trump Dead Voter Claim

DETROIT — President Donald Trump's campaign filed a second lawsuit in Michigan on Tuesday seeking to stop the state's canvassing and certification of ballots, but the state's chief elections official and attorney general defended the election results. The Trump campaign filed the case in federal court, where the campaign is alleging... Read More

Trump's Challenge to the 2020 Vote: A State-By-State Guide
Litigation
Trump's Challenge to the 2020 Vote: A State-By-State Guide

President Donald Trump's challenge to the 2020 election results runs through six battleground states, five of which he won in 2016. This time around, Democrat Joe Biden has five-digit vote leads in all six states with some counting continuing, including three where he leads by more than 35,000 votes in... Read More

Republican AGs File Amicus Brief in Pennsylvania Mail-In Ballot Case
2020 Elections
Republican AGs File Amicus Brief in Pennsylvania Mail-In Ballot Case
November 10, 2020
by Reece Nations

WASHINGTON -- Republican Attorneys General from 10 states have filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in the latest legal action in the case to contend the counting of certain mail-in ballots in Pennsylvania. In the brief, the AGs argue the United States Supreme Court... Read More

Trump Launches a Legal Barrage in An Effort to Block a Biden Victory
Litigation
Trump Launches a Legal Barrage in An Effort to Block a Biden Victory

WASHINGTON — Facing a fast-shrinking path to a second term, President Donald Trump baselessly accused his opponents of fraud Wednesday as he launched an aggressive legal effort to reverse or stop vote counts in four battleground states that could clinch the race for Joe Biden. Filing four lawsuits and joining... Read More

News From The Well
scroll top