Federal Appeals Court Allows New York’s Restrictive Gun Law to Stand During Appeal
NEW YORK — A federal appeals court judge on Wednesday allowed a restrictive new gun law in New York State to remain in effect while the attorney general appeals a lower court ruling that temporarily blocks parts of the measure.
“I am pleased that the full Concealed Carry Improvement Act will stay in effect and continue to protect communities as the appeals process moves forward,” New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat, said in a statement
“My office will continue our efforts to protect the safety of everyday New Yorkers and defend our common-sense gun laws,” she said.
Last week, U.S. District Judge Glenn Suddaby temporarily blocked enforcement of parts of the Concealed Carry Improvement Act, which was enacted after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down other protections the state had tried to impose.
Both the tossed law and its replacement aim to place restrictions on carrying a concealed handgun outside the home.
The state had asked for an interim stay by the end of the day Tuesday because the temporary restraining order was scheduled to go into effect today.
The plaintiffs, all gun owners, argue the state is violating their Second and 14th Amendment rights by denying them the right to self-defense.