Hong Kong Protests Escalate As Violent Demonstrators Overrun Legislature Building

July 2, 2019by Alice Su
Protesters gather at the government headquarters in Hong Kong on July 1, 2019, on the 22nd anniversary of the city's handover from Britain to China. - Anti-government protesters trying to ram their way into Hong Kong's parliament battled police armed with pepper spray on July 1 as the territory marked the anniversary of its handover to China. (Vivek Prakash/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)

HONG KONG — Protesters on Monday stormed Hong Kong’s legislative building, smashing the building’s glass walls, dismantling fences and gates, and vandalizing the inner chamber.

The demonstrators tore down portraits of legislative leaders and spray-painted pro-democracy slogans on the walls of the main chamber. They also raised a sign that read: “There are no violent rioters, only a violent regime.”

On this, the anniversary of Hong Kong’s handover from Britain to China, hundreds of thousands tried to keep the protest peaceful, marching through the streets in an echo of two previous marches against an extradition bill that many feel reflects Beijing’s growing control over Hong Kong.

But some protesters had other ideas.

Locator map of Admiralty where protesters clash with police.

Agnes, Shing and their son Alex stared at a television screen in disbelief as protesters charged the legislative building.

The family had come to Causeway Bay to join a third peaceful march against the extradition bill. They were standing at an electronics shop next to the road among growing crowds before the march began. But its planned ending point seemed to already be in chaos.

“A lot of Hong Kong people are very peaceful. They don’t want to see this kind of violence,” said Agnes, 45, who declined to give their family’s last name for privacy reasons. “We feel very heartbroken to see these teenagers.”

July 1 is Establishment Day in Hong Kong, an official holiday meant for celebrating the region’s handover in 1997 from British to Chinese rule. But it’s also a protest day for civil society and pro-democracy groups, with particular momentum this year from growing public anger against the extradition bill.

Hong Kong’s government has suspended the bill, but protesters are demanding total withdrawal to ensure it isn’t reintroduced. Many also want an independent investigation of both police and protester violence over the last few weeks, and for Chief Executive Carrie Lam to take responsibility for ongoing unrest, or to step down altogether.

Monday’s protesters split into two groups: Hundreds of thousands marched peacefully and the others besieged and then stormed into the legislative building, using metal bars and trolleys to smash its glass walls, pushing aside legislators attempting to de-escalate the situation. They also dismantled a fence around the building and raised a black version of the Hong Kong flag, featuring a bloodied, withering flower at its center.

“If we burn, you burn with us,” read a red banner hung over one side of the legislative building.

Lam held a news conference at 4 a.m. Tuesday condemning the “extreme use of violence and vandalism by protesters who stormed into the legislative council building” while affirming the march as reflective of Hong Kong’s “core values” of peace and order.

“Nothing is more important than the rule of law in Hong Kong,” Lam said, adding that the government had responded to anti-extradition bill protests by suspending the bill.

Protesters’ other demands — such as releasing arrested protesters without an investigation — would violate the rule of law, Lam said.

Police Chief Stephen Lo defended the police as having been under siege for nearly eight hours without responding to the protesters.

Secretary for Security John Lee read out potential charges for the arrested protesters including breaking and entering and possession of weapons.

The Civil Human Rights Front and pan-democratic legislators released a joint statement saying legislators had requested to meet with Lam on Monday, only to be rejected.

“We cannot be angrier at her rejection to the request, which proves her ‘willingness to listen’ to be the ugliest political lie. Lam’s arrogance revealed by her public responses since June 9 have only poured fuel to the flame, and lead to the crisis today. Lam is the culprit,” the statement read.

Just after 10 p.m., Hong Kong police announced on Facebook that they were planning to clear the legislative building and would use “appropriate force in the event of obstruction and resistance.”

Inside the chamber, protester Brian Leung climbed onto a table and removed his mask, calling on protesters to stay.

“We’ve come too far. This is our final chance. We can’t afford to lose,” he said, asking protesters to either stay inside or surround the building outside, in hopes that larger numbers of demonstrators would deter the police.

Outside, some protesters left while others continued to pass supplies and barriers into the building through assembly lines.

At 11 p.m., multiple protesters’ groups made different statements. One group stood at the front of the chamber, asking to meet with Lam and reiterating five protest demands: withdrawal of the extradition bill, revoking the classification of protests as riots, dropping all charges against all anti-extradition protesters, investigating police violence, and instating universal suffrage in 2020.

Some groups on the messaging app Telegram shared another statement they called the “Admiralty Declaration,” calling for classification of recent protests as “democratic movements instead of riots.”

“On behalf of all HKers, we shall never cease pursuing universal values and rule of law,” the statement read. “HKers can no longer stand the injustice that is our government. We shall raise our shields and arms to overthrow the puppet Legislative Council and the Government.”

As midnight approached, most protesters exited the building after a tearful debate over whether to stay or go. A handful remained, one of whom told local media that his father had fled the Cultural Revolution in China to Hong Kong for his sake. Now he wanted to take a stand for his own kids, he said.

Hundreds of armored riot police bearing shields and batons, backed up by dozens of police vans flashing sirens, marched toward the legislative building at midnight. They surrounded the remaining protesters, who opened umbrellas.

A group of protesters rushed back into the chamber and dragged out those who had wanted to stay. “We leave together,” they shouted.

Outside, police fired tear gas canisters at the protesters, acrid smoke billowing into the air.

Violence had broken out earlier Monday morning as hundreds of police used tear gas and batons against thousands of protesters occupying the legislative complex in the lead up to a flag-raising ceremony that Lam and other officials attended indoors under high security.

Tensions were high after hundreds of thousands of pro-police demonstrators clashed with anti-extradition bill protesters on Sunday afternoon, spitting and throwing mud at a group of protesters under the legislative building.

Three protesters have died in the last two weeks, leaving anti-extradition bill messages before committing suicide by jumping off high buildings, including two on Saturday and Sunday nights. While civil society organizations spread mental health warnings to prevent copycat suicides, protesters have called the deceased “martyrs,” laying flowers and candles at shrines to their memory.

Crowds began gathering for the march at 1 p.m.

Thousands streamed past a mostly empty pro-Beijing festival, ignoring its booths and waiting for the march to begin. Groups of Christians prayed and sang hymns.

At the same time, pro-democracy legislators were arguing with a small group of young, angry protesters at the legislative building. The protesters wanted to charge into the building. The legislators tried to persuade them not to.

Leung Yiu-Chung, a 66-year-old legislator, threw himself in front of a glass wall, holding out his arms. A masked protester tackled him to the floor. Within seconds, protesters bashed a heavy metal trolley into the glass wall.

The protests escalated from there, though many of the people marching just over a mile away disagreed with what was happening at the legislative building.

“Obviously we don’t support this kind of violent activity,” Agnes said. “It seems like it’s totally out of control.”

“We don’t want to risk exposure to danger. We want to have a peaceful protest, to make the government have a positive reaction.”

Her son Alex, 14, said he disagreed with protesters breaking the glass walls because it would give the government an excuse to label all protesters violent.

“The government can use this as an excuse,” he said. “You take a minority and treat them as the majority and say everyone is very violent.”

But the government should de-escalate the situation by responding more fully to people’s protests, said Alex’s father, Shing, 54.

“The government is in a monologue. They are really representing the central government (in Beijing), when they should speak from Hong Kong people’s side,” he said, adding that he didn’t support protester violence, but also distrusted the Chinese government.

Monday’s march was smaller than the last two — 550,000 participated, according to organizers — in part because many of the younger protesters, those in their 20s and younger, were busy besieging and charging the legislative complex.

Some older protesters who chose to march instead of charge said they understood why the younger protesters had become violent.

“They’re so angry. They don’t have votes or any actions that count. They don’t have another way to do this,” said Au Yung Man Ong, 68, waving a sign that said “Struggle until the End.” He’d come out today because he felt in pain, he said, pointing to his chest.

“Three young people committed suicide,” he said. “I’m hoping Lam can step down and withdraw the bill. It’s a small act, easily solved. But she thinks saving her face is more important than people’s lives.”

Organizers changed the marching route to avoid the legislative complex because of the violence. But as the march reached Admiralty, younger protesters ran out to the main road, waving their arms and calling for the approaching crowd to turn and join their occupation.

Some split while others marched on. Hong Kong’s government “strongly condemned” the protesters who’d charged, calling them “extremely violent.”

As the afternoon continued, more and more protesters from the march began streaming into the legislative building area, joining the youth — though many newcomers kept a safe distance by watching and supporting from pedestrian overpasses.

Ronnie Chow, 25, sat on the floor with his friend Edward Tsang, also 25. They’d wrapped their arms and legs with Saran Wrap as protection from pepper spray and tear gas.

“We’re here to free Hong Kong,” Chow said. He’d arrived at 6:30 a.m. without a plan, he said, except to make the government hear the protesters’ voices.

“A million people on the street, and the government ignores us. Two million people on the street, and the government ignores us. So we agreed on action to show the government we want to be free. We want our own future,” Chow said.

Tsang and Chow didn’t participate in smashing the glass walls, but didn’t oppose the violence either.

“We don’t say we support them, but we don’t blame them. Everyone is just doing what they can,” Tsang said. He’d participated in the Umbrella Movement five years ago, but thought it was a failure, as were the nonviolent methods protesters have used so far.

“We tried peaceful protesting. We sang songs. Today, we don’t sing songs. We don’t walk peacefully,” Tsang said. “The government just ignores us. No matter how many people, no matter what generation. Teenagers, old men, they don’t care.”

They didn’t have a strategy or an idea of what methods might work better than peaceful protest.

“Three people committed suicide. Hong Kong people are desperate. My generation is desperate,” Tsang said. “We don’t know what to do. We just try our best.”

As dusk fell, protesters dismantled a metal fence outside the legislative building, pulling its bars down like spears that they added to makeshift barricades.

They began ramming the building’s doors, breaking more and more glass panes, then bashing a metal screen inside as a group of police yelled at them from behind it.

“Hong Kongers, add oil!” a growing mass of protesters chanted in rhythm with those ramming the doors in the front.

By 9 p.m., the protesters had stormed the building. A fire alarm blared nonstop as they surged inside, charging through the building with metal barricades and spraying anti-government graffiti on the walls.

Police were nowhere to be seen as the protesters entered the legislature’s main chamber, spraying “Withdraw the evil law,” “Anti-extradition” and “Carrie Lam step down” on the walls.

They hung a British version of the Hong Kong flag over the speaker’s chair.


©2019 Los Angeles Times

Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

In The News



In The News

Recalling the Pentagon Papers Case, 50 Years On (Part Four)
Recalling the Pentagon Papers Case, 50 Years On (Part Four)
May 12, 2021
by Dan McCue

(This is the fourth and final part of a four-part series. The first three parts can be read here, here and here.) The First Amendment Prevails The Supreme Court’s decision in the Pentagon Papers case, officially, New York Times Co. v. United States, affirmed historical precedents... Read More

Subsidized Broadband Benefit Program Available for K-12 Today
Subsidized Broadband Benefit Program Available for K-12 Today
May 12, 2021
by Victoria Turner

Amanda Schermerhorn recently majored in political science at Minnesota State Community and Technical College. During the pandemic, she often had to use her Detroit Lakes campus free wi-fi from her car in the parking lot, along with other students, just to finish her classwork due to... Read More

US Cybersecurity Defense Must Meet Adversaries’ ‘Pace and Scale’
US Cybersecurity Defense Must Meet Adversaries’ ‘Pace and Scale’
May 12, 2021
by Victoria Turner

“Make no mistake, our adversaries want to divide us to conquer us,” warned Erin Joe, section chief of the private sector office of the FBI, noting that nation-states like Russia, North Korea, Iran, and China are deploying daily cyberattacks against the US.  Opening yesterday’s CyberSatDigital conference,... Read More

Agreement Eludes Senators On Election Reform Proposal
Agreement Eludes Senators On Election Reform Proposal
May 12, 2021
by Tom Ramstack

WASHINGTON -- A Senate committee tried Tuesday to amend a bill before sending it off to a final vote that would set national standards for elections. It made little headway in reaching agreement in a sharply divided Senate Rules and Administration Committee. Republicans said it was... Read More

Researchers Developing Sensor Able to Detect COVID-19 in the Air
Researchers Developing Sensor Able to Detect COVID-19 in the Air
May 12, 2021
by Alexa Hornbeck

Researchers from Emory University are working on a National Institutes of Health-supported project to develop a sensor capable of detecting COVID-19 in the air, called Rolosense.  “It’s tricky to anticipate what the real-world implementation will be of this technology, but we anticipate this will fill a... Read More

Study: Children up to Age 9 Unlikely to Spread COVID-19
Study: Children up to Age 9 Unlikely to Spread COVID-19
May 12, 2021
by Alexa Hornbeck

According to a recent study which followed a cohort of Israeli children there is little chance that kids up to age 9 will spread COVID-19 while returning to school.    “The main question was whether school reopening was accompanied by higher rates of COVID-19 infections in children,... Read More

News From The Well
scroll top