2021 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade Nixed Due to COVID-19
WASHINGTON – The National Cherry Blossom Festival may still be five months away, but organizers on Wednesday announced the festival parade, long a beloved part of the annual event, has been cancelled for 2021.
The reason: The ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
“The health and safety of our festival staff and the attendees, sponsors, and other stakeholders remain the festival’s top priority,” said Diana Mayhew, president and CEO of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in a written statement.
“While we know the community will miss the tradition of the parade, a striking and celebratory procession down Constitution Avenue, plans to present the 2021 Festival in innovative and fun ways are already underway,” Mayhew said.
The festival itself is scheduled for March 20 to April 11, and organizers said it will proceed with a full schedule of “safe, entertaining and fun programming.”
Additional details and the unveiling of the festival’s official 2021 artwork is planned for next month.
Festival organizers said they will continue to work with the District of Columbia, the mayor’s office, the National Park Service and other partners and stakeholders to ensure the public’s safety as the planning of events continues.
In The News
In The News
WASHINGTON - Getting a formal concession, finally, might all come down to this. The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of appeals on Monday granted a request from President Donald Trump's campaign to consider, on an expedited basis, an appeal of a mere facet of a federal judge's... Read More
BOULDER, Colo. - A giant sunspot is expected to traverse the Earth-facing side of the Sun by Thanksgiving, according to scientists at the National Science Foundation's National Solar Observatory. They based their prediction, first made on Nov. 18, on a special technique called helioseismology. It allows... Read More
HARRISBURG, Pa. – Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kathy Bookvar certified the results of the 2020 presidential election Tuesday, after all 67 counties in the state certified their individual results late Monday night. A short time later, as required by federal law, Gov. Tom Wolf signed the... Read More
WASHINGTON – Last week, U.S. Reps. Cheri Bustos, D-Ill., and Rodney Davis, R-Ill., along with U.S. Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., led the bipartisan Illinois Congressional delegation in sending a letter to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue. The letter opposes... Read More
WASHINGTON – Last week, a bipartisan resolution introduced by Reps. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., and Marcy Kaptur, D-Ohio, supporting the Three Seas Initiative unanimously passed the U.S. House of Representatives. The Three Seas Initiative is a strategic partnership of twelve Central and Eastern European nations with the... Read More
WASHINGTON – Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bipartisan measure increasing funding to the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative to help combat corruption and illicit drug trafficking between the United States and Caribbean nations. Introduced by Reps. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., and Francis Rooney, R-Fla.,... Read More