Florida Push to Ban Assault Weapons Hits Milestone Ahead of Pulse Shooting Anniversary
A group pushing to ban assault weapons in Florida has hit a significant milestone in its effort to place a proposed constitutional amendment on the 2020 ballot.
Ban Assault Weapons Now!, a bipartisan organization led in part by survivors of mass shootings in Orlando and Parkland, announced Monday that it has obtained 103,000 signed petitions. The total should be enough to trigger a Florida Supreme Court review of its proposed ballot question, a mandatory step in the process.
The group held a press conference outside the Orange County Supervisor of Elections Office after submitting thousands more signed petitions.
“Hundreds of thousands of Floridians across the state are getting behind this effort to place a ban on the ballot, because they know that this isn’t a partisan issue — this is an issue of public safety,” BAWN Chairwoman Gail Schwartz, the aunt of slain Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Alex Schachter, said in a statement.
The announcement comes two days before the third anniversary of the June 12 massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, during which a gunman with a legally purchased Sig Sauer MCX rifle killed 49 people. Pulse survivors Ricardo Negron-Almodovar and Brandon Wolf are on the BAWN steering committee, as are the parents of Pulse victims Jerry Wright and Drew Leinonen.
The organization must compile 766,200 signed petitions from verified voters by February in order to get a constitutional amendment on the 2020 ballot. The verification process is conducted by local election supervisors, and a mandatory Supreme Court review is triggered once 10% of the requisite signatures are obtained.
A court review can take several months but won’t stop BAWN from seeking more petition signatures.
Schwartz said Monday that she’s confident the ballot question will make it before voters in 2020 and pass, but her organization still has a lot of work to do. It so far has submitted only about 10% of the 1.1 million signatures it plans to gather in order to meet the ballot question threshold. And it has little more than half a year to do it.
©2019 Miami Herald
Visit Miami Herald at www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
In The News
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — As powerful Hurricane Dorian threatened Florida, thousands of elderly at nursing homes and adult living facilities were at risk in facilities without generators or back-up power. It was a situation that Florida regulators had tried to correct in the wake of a... Read More
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Hurricane hunter planes have found a strengthening Dorian, which is now a Category 2 hurricane with 105 mph winds, according to the National Hurricane Center’s 11 p.m. advisory on Thursday. It was expected to develop into a catastrophic Category 4 hurricane, which... Read More
President Donald Trump said Monday that next year’s Group of 7 summit — an annual gathering of world leaders representing powerful democracies — could take place at his own golf resort in Florida. If the summit were to take place at one of Trump’s private hotels,... Read More
ORLANDO, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis gave Florida’s 67 elections supervisors their No. 1 priority for 2020 on Wednesday. DeSantis announced that Florida would become the 29th state to join the Electronic Registration Information Center, or ERIC, a nonprofit compact that allows states to share encrypted... Read More
WASHINGTON - International investment in residential real estate in the United States plunged 36% in the past year as Chinese buyers fled the market, the National Association of Realtors said Wednesday. The sobering analysis comes via the Realtors' annual survey of residential purchases from international buyers.... Read More
WASHINGTON - The Democratic National Committee Thursday evening announced the 20 presidential candidates who will take part in the party's first debate later this month. The debate will take place over two days -- June 26 and June 27 -- in Miami, Fla., and will air... Read More