Feeling Bipartisan Heat, Trump Backs Off Foreign Aid Cuts
WASHINGTON — Succumbing to bipartisan pressure, the White House abandoned plans Thursday to cut billions of dollars from the State Department budget for foreign aid, several officials said.
A proposal to freeze as much as $4 billion in aid approved by Congress was under consideration by Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget. Freezing the funds would affect numerous U.S.-backed projects around the globe, including development, peace-keeping missions, health and education programs and human rights initiatives.
The administration argued the cuts would help whittle down a burgeoning deficit, although foreign aid is a tiny percentage of the federal budget. Slashing foreign aid is in keeping with President Donald Trump’s “America first” philosophy of disengaging from many international endeavors.
But critics said the shift would hurt America’s standing overseas and reduce its ability to diplomatically influence other countries.
The proposed cut “undermines our national security interests and emboldens our adversaries,” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Ky., wrote to Trump last week.
The mechanism under consideration is called a rescission because it rescinds money already approved by Congress. The administration planned to submit it before Congress had time to act ahead of the end of the fiscal year next month. The funds would then return to the U.S. Treasury.
On Thursday, a day after he hinted he was having second thoughts, Trump backed down and ordered the plan dropped. His climb-down was praised by members of Congress and activists who support greater U.S. engagement overseas.
“There’s bipartisan consensus in Congress over the critical role foreign aid plays in ensuring our national security and global leadership,” Rep. Ami Bera, D-Calif., a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said on Twitter. “Slashing these funds would have been shortsighted.”
“After weeks of internal deliberations, smart policy has clearly won the day,” said Liz Schrayer, president of the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition, which promote U.S. development projects.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo acknowledged last-minute reconsideration of the proposed cuts.
“What I have consistently said with respect to every penny the State Department spends, including our foreign assistance budget, is we’ve got to get it right,” Pompeo told reporters Thursday in Ottawa, where he met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
“Every single dollar we take away from the taxpayers I want to make sure we’re deploying properly,” Pompeo added. “And this discussion that we’re having on rescission certainly is part of that bigger discussion.”
©2019 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
In The News
MIAMI — President Donald Trump changed his mind about hosting a summit of world leaders at his own resort in Doral after being “surprised at the level of push-back” to last week’s announcement, his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, said Sunday. Mulvaney, speaking during an... Read More
WASHINGTON - A circuit court judge in South Carolina heard more than two hours of oral arguments Friday in a lawsuit challenging the state GOP executive committee's vote last month to forgo a 2020 Republican presidential primary. In the end, Circuit Judge Jocelyn Newman indicated her... Read More
WASHINGTON - Mark Zuckerberg allowed himself only a brief smile Thursday afternoon as he approached the podium awaiting him on stage in Georgetown University's Gaston Hall. After weeks of criticism over Facebook's decision not to moderate political speech or fact-check political ads, the company's CEO was... Read More
WASHINGTON — House Democrats’ hopes for a short and focused impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump are being put to the test by a string of new leads that could lengthen their investigation, as well as by some moderate Democrats who remain skeptical about whether the... Read More
WASHINGTON — Energy Secretary Rick Perry notified President Donald Trump Thursday that he will soon be leaving the post, according to two people familiar with the matter. Perry, one of the administration’s original Cabinet secretaries, enjoyed good rapport with Trump. The former Texas governor has recently... Read More
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump intends to host next year’s Group of Seven conference at his Doral International Resort in Miami in June, the White House confirmed Thursday, a controversial decision certain to raise conflict-of-interest questions given the financial benefit to Trump’s business. Trump first floated... Read More