Senior Pentagon Official Resigns as Trump Remakes Leadership
WASHINGTON — A senior Defense Department official resigned on Tuesday, opening the way for a longtime ally of President Donald Trump to take on a key leadership role a day after Pentagon chief Mark Esper was fired.
James Anderson, the acting deputy undersecretary of defense for policy, had been in his current role only since June. He didn’t give a reason for his departure in a resignation letter to the president but praised policies put in place during his time in the Trump administration.
“It is clear that despite profound national security and defense challenges, America is more secure than it was four years ago,” Anderson wrote. “Thank you for the opportunity to serve.”
Anderson’s departure may open the way for his acting deputy, Brig. Gen. Anthony Tata, to fill the post. Trump had picked Tata for the undersecretary role in June, but his nomination foundered amid controversy over his past remarks, including derogatory comments about Islam.
A defense official, who asked not to be identified discussing the change, said he didn’t know if Tata would get the policy role.
The turmoil at the Pentagon comes at a delicate time, with Joe Biden having won the Nov. 3 election but Trump continuing to claim widespread but unsubstantiated charges of voting fraud that he says means he won the election.
Trump dismissed Esper by tweet on Monday without explanation, with the president saying only that “I would like to thank him for his service.” But the president had long bristled at Esper’s failure to be more supportive of him publicly.
Trump appointed Christopher Miller, the Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, as acting Pentagon chief.
Jennifer Jacobs contributed to this report.
(c)2020 Bloomberg News
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC
In The News
WASHINGTON -- Expert witnesses described a deeply troubled Defense Department at a Senate hearing Tuesday as Congress tries to decide whether to approve a new leader for the U.S. military. They said the Defense Department has fallen victim to political partisanship and mismanagement that they hope... Read More
WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden announced Kathleen Hicks and Colin Kahl as his nominees for deputy secretary of defense and under secretary of defense for policy on Wednesday. If confirmed to the positions, they are slated to join Secretary of Defense-designate Lloyd Austin in the Pentagon... Read More
WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump made good on a threat Wednesday, vetoing the $740 billion National Defense Authorization Act. Congress passed the fiscal year 2021 defense spending plan earlier this month with more than the two-thirds majority needed in both chambers to override a veto. If... Read More
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump, who has threatened to veto the fiscal 2021 defense authorization bill, has until Dec. 23 to either do so or sign it into law, congressional aides said Monday. The Senate cleared the $731.6 billion measure on Dec. 11, and it was... Read More
President Donald Trump repeated his threat to veto the U.S. defense spending bill that last week won enough bipartisan support in Congress to easily overturn his opposition. “THE BIGGEST WINNER OF OUR NEW DEFENSE BILL IS CHINA!. I WILL VETO!” Trump wrote in a tweet Sunday.... Read More
WASHINGTON - The Senate, as expected, overwhelming endorsed a $740 billion national defense policy bill Friday, sending the measure on to the White House where president Trump threatened to veto it. Ignoring those threats, the Senate voted 84-12 in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act,... Read More