UK Bans Huawei From 5G Networks in Security Crackdown
Huawei Technologies Co. will be banned from providing equipment for the U.K.’s next generation mobile networks from the end of this year, in a sweeping crackdown on the Chinese company that risks escalating tensions between London and Beijing.
Under the blueprint agreed by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, operators will not be able to add any new Huawei components to their 5G networks after Dec. 31. All equipment made by the Shenzhen-based company that has already been installed will need to be removed from 5G infrastructure by 2027, the government said, confirming reports by Bloomberg News on Monday.
Johnson, his senior ministers and top security chiefs signed off on the plan at a meeting of the National Security Council on Tuesday before Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden set out the details in a statement to Parliament.
“There is of course no such thing as a perfectly secure network,” Dowden told the House of Commons on Tuesday.
The decision to strip out Huawei’s kit from British networks represents a major reversal by Johnson, and threatens to fuel a growing row between the U.K. and China at a highly sensitive time. China has warned Johnson will face “consequences” if the U.K. treats it as a “hostile partner.”
In May the U.S. banned Huawei from sourcing microchips which use American technology, a move that forced British officials to reassess their view of the security and sustainability of using the company’s equipment in 5G networks. “This was a significant and material change,” Dowden said. These sanctions have “potentially severe impacts” on Huawei’s ability to supply equipment to the U.K, he said.
British phone companies now face a complex and expensive task to remove Huawei gear from their networks over the next seven years. Dowden warned the decision will also delay the roll out of 5G networks in the U.K.
©2020 Bloomberg News
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
In The News
WASHINGTON (AP) — The elite Russian hackers who gained access to computer systems of federal agencies last year didn't bother trying to break one by one into the networks of each department. Instead, they got inside by sneaking malicious code into a software update pushed out to thousands... Read More
WASHINGTON (AP) — Top national security agencies confirmed Tuesday that Russia was likely responsible for a massive hack of U.S. government departments and corporations, rejecting President Donald Trump's claim that China might be to blame. The rare joint statement represented the U.S. government's first formal attempt... Read More
WASHINGTON (AP) — Once in office, President-elect Joe Biden will punish Russia for its suspected cyberespionage operation against the United States with financial sanctions and measures to hobble the Kremlin's ability to launch future hacks, his chief of staff said Sunday, as a GOP senator criticized President Donald... Read More
WASHINGTON - Rep. Stephanie Murphy, D-Fla., is urging House leadership to schedule a classified, bipartisan briefing for members of Congress regarding the recently revealed cyberattack on the networks of the federal government and major American companies. The attack is widely believed to have been the work... Read More
WASHINGTON -- The federal government's top cybersecurity agency on Thursday issued its most urgent warning yet about a sophisticated and extensive computer breach, saying it posed a "grave risk" to cyber networks maintained by governments, utilities and the private sector and could be difficult to purge.... Read More
WASHINGTON — The U.S. cybersecurity chief fired by President Donald Trump last month after he pushed back on allegations of election fraud testified before Congress on Wednesday that such baseless conspiracy theories are having a “corrosive” effect on the public’s faith in the nation’s voting system.... Read More