Beto O’Rourke Ends 2020 Presidential Bid
WASHINGTON – Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke announced Friday evening that he’s dropping his bid for Democratic presidential nomination.
O’Rourke tweeted Friday that his campaign “has always been about seeing clearly, speaking honestly, and acting decisively.” He writes, “In that spirit: I am announcing that my service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.”
O’Rourke had been struggling to break through a crowded Democratic field. He entered the race in March with buzz from his narrow 2018 Senate loss to Republican incumbent Ted Cruz in Texas.
But he never gained traction, and was forced to “reintroduce” himself in a bid to jumpstart his stalled campaign.
After a mass shooting in his hometown of El Paso, Texas, he began to center his campaign on gun violence prevention.
On Friday, he said via Twitter that he is “grateful to all the people who made up the heart and soul of this campaign.”
“You were among the hundreds of thousands who made a donation, signed up to volunteer or spread the word about this campaign and our opportunity to help decide the election of our lifetime,” he said.
O’Rourke ended the thread by promising to support the eventual Democratic nominee.
“I can tell you firsthand from having the chance to know the candidates, we will be well served by any one of them, and I’m going to be proud to support whoever she or he is,” he said.
In The News
A presidential contest that had largely been a referendum on President Trump and, in particular, his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic has suddenly broadened into something more: a fight over control of the Supreme Court. Both sides claim their base will be more energized than ever... Read More
The majority of Americans, including many Republicans, said the appointment of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s successor to the U.S. Supreme Court should be left to the winner of the November presidential election, Reuters reported, citing the Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Sunday. A survey conducted Sept. 19-20 after... Read More
Since Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday night, President Donald Trump has largely winnowed a list of dozens of potential replacements down to three front-runners: Appeals court judges Amy Coney Barrett, Barbara Lagoa and Amul Thapar. Barrett, Lagoa and Thapar all appeared on a long list... Read More
WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden started September with a $466 million mountain of cash to take on President Donald Trump and the Republicans, completely reversing the GOP’s financial advantage in just four months. In April, Biden, the Democratic nominee, had about $98 million in... Read More
WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Sunday portrayed President Trump’s determination to lock in conservative control of the Supreme Court in the final weeks of the presidential campaign as a potent threat not only to Americans’ health care, but also to the nation’s democratic... Read More
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s top aides reached out to prominent conservatives over the weekend to discuss potential strategies for the upcoming battle over a vacancy on the Supreme Court created by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, asking them not to get ahead of... Read More