Acting Navy Boss Quits Amid Uproar Over Coronavirus Controversy
WASHINGTON – Bowing to increasing pressure, acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly resigned Tuesday, following his profanity-laced tirade against the fired captain of the coronavirus-stricken USS Theodore Roosevelt.
Modly’s abrupt exit came shortly after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi joined the mounting chorus calling for his firing, citing his poor handling of the coronavirus-related public health crisis aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.
“Sadly, Acting Secretary Modly’s actions and words demonstrate his failure to prioritize the protection of our troops,” the Speaker said. “He showed a serious lack of the sound judgment and strong leadership needed during this time.”
In light of this, she said Modly “must be removed from his position or resign.”
Modly had apologized late Monday for profanity-laced comments he made to the aircraft carrier’s crew in Guam days after firing the ship’s commanding officer, Capt. Brett Crozier.
But Modly’s apology did little to dampen the firestorm he created.
During his remarks, Modly said Crozier was either an idiot or naive and deserved to be fired for writing a letter that was destined to leak.
Crozier had expressed alarm about the service’s mishandling of the health crisis aboard the vessel in a March 30 letter to Navy higher-ups that subsequently leaked to the media.
On Tuesday, Pelosi defended Crozier, saying he was simply carrying out his duties when he called for help “for the men and women in his charge.”
Crozier’s former sailors — 172 of whom have tested positive for the coronavirus — were outraged by Modly’s remarks and quickly leaked them to the public.
In his apology, Modly said he regretted any pain the remarks may have caused, but insisted he was right to fire the captain, claiming he should have known his letter could become public, risking public disclosure of the chaos unfolding aboard the carrier.
Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said in a statement that “Acting Secretary Modly’s decision to address the sailors on the Roosevelt and personally attack Captain Crozier shows a tone-deaf approach more focused on personal ego than one of the calm, steady leadership we so desperately need in this crisis,” the representative said in a statement.
“I no longer have confidence in Acting Secretary Modly’s leadership of the Navy and believe he should be removed from his position,” he added.
Also calling for Modly’s removal were Rep. Elaine Luria, D-Va., herself a Navy veteran, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn, Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., and Rep. Justin Amash, I-Mich.
Modly’s designated replacement will be James McPherson, a Navy veteran who is currently serving as undersecretary of the Army. He was confirmed in that position by the Senate last month. Prior to that he was the Army’s general counsel.
In The News
WASHINGTON - Defense policy discussions are attracting most of the attention on Capitol Hill this week as the Senate takes up the fiscal 2021 defense authorization bill on the floor and the House Armed Service Committee marks up its version. Though bitter controversies often threaten the... Read More
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff apologized for participating in Donald Trump’s controversial appearance for a photo at a historic church last week, when law enforcement forcibly cleared a peaceful protest to make way for the president. “I should not have been there,” General... Read More
WASHINGTON — Abandoning decades of resistance, the Pentagon signaled Monday that it is open to stripping the names of Confederate heroes off Fort Hood and nine other Army posts, including one named for the rebels’ top general, Robert E. Lee. Defense Secretary Mark Esper added his... Read More
WASHINGTON — Even before the pandemic hit the service hard, the U.S. Navy was in rough seas. The lingering aftermath of two deadly collisions in 2017, constant leadership turnover, and pressure from just about everyone in Washington to expand the fleet quickly and considerably found the... Read More
WASHINGTON (AP) — In an extraordinary rebuke, former defense secretary Jim Mattis on Wednesday denounced President Donald Trump's heavy-handed use of military force to quell protests near the White House and said his former boss was setting up a “false conflict" between the military and civilian... Read More
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday he opposes the use of active-duty military to police U.S. cities and contain current street protests over the death of George Floyd. "I've always believed and continue to believe that the National Guard is best suited for performing... Read More